I am a big fan of the home made breakfast. Nothing will ever taste as good as something you made yourself, and the same is true for this tasty morsel. This is an adaptation on a recipe by David Herbert, food writer for The Australian Newspaper.
Once you try this, you'll never eat tinned baked beans again!
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/2 onion, diced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tab olive oil
2 rashers streaky bacon, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
400g chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned), or you can use 1 cup passata
1 tsp fresh chilli (or one whole red chilli)
1 400g tin washed beans (haricot, borlotti, cannelini) - haricot work best
2 tabs fresh chopped parsley
2 tsp raw sugar
1. Brown bacon in oil until caramelised
2. Add garlic and onion and cook until golden
3. Add chopped carrot, tomatoes and chilli - simmer 20 minutes
4. Add beans, herbs and sugar - simmer 10 minutes
5. If you added a whole chilli, now is the time to pull it out
TIP - I find Haricot beans work the best, but they can be tricky to find. I can usually get them at IGA, Foodworks or at specialty shops and delicatessens.