Donuts might just be my absolute all-time favourite sweet treat of all time! They are the epitomy of comfort food and I find it hard to stop at one once I start.
These Chickpea Cinnamon Donuts came about during an attempt to come up with a healthy, low-sugar version of my favourite snack.
I recently discovered that chickpeas and kidney beans can be used instead of flour and the result is just as good as the alternate. It’s safe to say that I’ll be experimenting with using chickpeas in more recipes in the future.
[RELATED] Bean and Banana Chocolate Muffins
Here is the recipe for my Chickpea Cinnamon Donuts. Give it a go and see if you can stop at just one, I certainly couldn’t - but the good news is, the enjoyment is 100% guilt free!
Chickpea Cinnamon Donuts
Makes 12 donuts
You will need a 12 hole mini donut tin.
400g tin Chickpeas, drained and washed
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla essence
50g raw sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Place raw sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon into blender or food processor. Blend until fine. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Place all donut ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Set mixture aside for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 180⁰C. Spray tray with oil.
5. Pour donut batter into donut tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
6. Once baked, leave donuts in tray for 5 minutes before turning out and tossing through the cinnamon sugar to coat. ENJOY!